Friday, March 16, 2007

Justice

We began our session with a brief follow up on the previous chapter. An article from the Journal of Psychology and Theology discussed spiritual formation. Spiritual exercises are a way to open the self to the working of the Holy Spirit. It is a gradual opening that can happen on a daily basis. Therefore, mainline churches can say "yes" to being "born again". It happens on a daily basis.

Gratitude - a new spiritual practice- was introduced to the group. We each spoke about something for which we were grateful or thankful. If practiced each morning and evening, this spiritual gratefulness can evoke changes in us.

We found different participants to discuss each of the following questions as they relate to God's justice.

1. As I look around my community, my world, opening my eyes as wide as I can, I see....

2. There are times when I know I participate in systems that contribute to the misery of others......

3. I see so much and sometimes the feelings can be overwhelming.....

Three individuals shared their justice practices and experiences with the group. It was a very inspiring and moving evening.

Jan will lead us in the next session. Lydia will be away on a reading week.

We are to read Chapter 8 - Thin Places.

We ended our session by saying Jesus' prayer.

No comments: